Speech Team Guidelines
You must practice with a coach or a captain at least once a week. All students will be expected to maintain a regular practice time either before school or after school depending on your schedule.
All tournaments will be held on Saturdays, except the Sections, Sub-Sections, and State Tournaments.
You will be expected to attend all meets if possible. There will be a sign-up sheet with the coach to indicate the meet(s) you can attend. Signing up for a meet means you are expected to be there. If you CANNOT attend a meet, you must notify the coach by the Thursday of the week prior to the meet.
(For example, if you cannot make the MCW meet on Feb. 25, you must let me know by Thursday, February 16.) If a team member fails to show up for that tournament, or doesn't cancel with the coach one week in advance, the team member must pay a $10 fee for that tournament. Otherwise, the school pays all entry fees for tournaments.
A $30 participation fee and MSHSL forms must be turned into the athletic office in order to participate in meets. Students must also be passing all classes. If you’ve already filled out a form for another sport, you don’t need to do so again.
Rules and Regulations
1. You are responsible for all of the following:
• backing speech with black paper and keeping track of your script
• making it to the bus on time for departures
• wearing appropriate competition attire
• showing exceptionally good behavior at all tournaments
• making a commitment to do your personal best in your category.
2. MSHSL eligibility rules apply to all speech team participants.
3. Students may earn a Fine Arts Letter in Speech. Students earn points for attendance at meets as well as performance rank.