THE BRICELYN SCHOOLS
The first schools attended by the children of the village of Bricelyn were those in the rural communities. A few of the pupils walked to the Clayton school while some attended a rural school about two miles south of town. The first public school in Bricelyn was housed in the Shirk Hall the fall of 1900. The school occupied the second floor of this building.
Lund's Bakery now occupies Shirk Hall. On the sixth of March, 1901, the school moved into the present village hall. On June the seventh, 1901, the following committee was appointed to meet with the county commissioners relative to the establishing of a school district in Bricelyn: H. 0. Hanson,
E.R. Lindeman, A. E. Wilcox, R. J. Havnen, L. K. Fosness and Ludvig Johnson. The school was approved by the commissioners and on July 27, 1901, the village voted to hold an eight-month school and employ two teachers . The city hall was partitioned into two rooms, and Miss Stella Page and Miss Emma Langworthy were hired as teachers. School was continued in the city hall until the new building was completed. February 21, 1903, the village voted to build a new school which was dedicated November 20, 1903. The present bell was purchased by donations. The building as itstands today was constructed at three different intervals. The south half and the school gymnasium were added to the first school building which as constructed in 1903 bv Casper Lepper at a cost of $10,000.
No record exists in the school files stating the faculty employed until Mr.Reichert was superintendent.
The first school in the Bricelyn community was taught by Miss Ethel Nichols of Winnebago, Minnesota, before district 132 was established.
The Bricelyn School, 1916-1932
Mr. Reichert began his work as head of the the fall term of 1916. That was the year that the school was a full four-year high school. That year there were high school, including the first girl, Ruth Daly,
As the addition to the school building had not yet been built, conditions were very crowded. The fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth grades were located in a rented building up town. The high school pupils were located in the room later occupied by the seventh and eighth grades. The laboratory equipment for chemistry was located in the upper hall and the laboratory work was done there. That year chemistry was the only science offered to the junior and senior pupils. The following year, with more room and more equipment, physics was also offered. The former office room was quite large and was used, as a recitation room for the smaller high school classes. There were three high school graduates the first year: Cecil Shirk, Ruth Daly and Esther Peterson. The combined high school and eighth grade graduation exercises were held in the old village hall. The second year there were five high school graduates.
Although bonds had been voted, and the plans drawn up for the addition to the building; construction did not begin until the spring of 1917. By late October of that year the building had been completed so that the high school could move into its new quarters and the classrooms up town could be vacated.
As, at that time, the Bricelyn school was the only school doing four years of high school work for a considerable radius; the neighboring villages not yet having established high schools, the school drew a large number of pupils from outside the district. Besides the graduates from the neighboring rural schools there were a large number of high school pupils attending from Kiester, Frost, and Rake, Iowa. One year the total number of non-resident high school pupils (grades 9-12) reached 72.
The high school assembly room soon became to small. By cutting through the wall, the recitation room at the rear of the assembly room was added to that room. Later on, aisles were narrowed so as to accommodate an extra row of desks. Desks crowded close to the front black boards in front and the aisle along the east windows was occupied by desks. The largest enrollment reached in the high school during the years 1916-1932 (pupils in the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grades) was 124 and the largest graduating class was 29.
Front row, left to right: Earl Rosdahl, Merrill Weitertund, Maynard Mundale, Carl Gudal, William Peterson, Jerome Peterson, Virgil Thompson, Howard Iverson. Second row: Richard Rodez, Alton Bergsather, Clinton Riker, Victor Martin, Earl Obermeyer, Rufus Olson, Sidney Flo, Bruce Shirk.Top-row: Wilford Torgeson, Ward Smith, Vincent Hunt, Gillman Flo, Forest Lair.
The first athletic coach of the school was Vincent Hunt who came here after his return from military service in World War I. After, Bricelyn's first year in high school athletics the Bricelyn school played football and basketball on equal terms with larger schools. During Mr. Hunt's term as coach the school played for three years without being defeated in football. During Mr. Ware's second year as coach, the school won all of its football games and 11 of its 14 basketball games.
1923 FOOTBALL GAMES WITH SCORES Bricelyn 13 Fairmont 0
Bricelyn 0 Blue Earth 0
Bricelyn 7 Albert Lea 6
Bricelyn 33 Elmore 0
Bricelyn 12 Winnebago 6
Bricelyn 52 Luther 0
Bricelyn 32 Buffalo Center 0
1934 FOOTBALL GAMES WITH SCORES Bricelyn 27 Buffalo Center 0
Bricelyn 33 Elmore 6
Bricelyn 17 Fairmont 0
Bricelyn 126 Wells 0
Bricelyn 52 Winnebago 0
Bricelyn 92 New Richland 0
PLAYERS ON 1924 FOOTBALL TEAM
Quarterback- Victor Martin
Ends-Merrill, Westerlund and Howard Iverson
Halfbacks-Rufus Olson and Sidney Flo
Tackles-Virgil Thompson and M. Mondale
Guards-Jerome Peterson and Carl Gudal